Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Roasted Brussell Sprouts - Diet Log #3


Healthy eating... and reading... and cooking... I'm not craving carbs today.  Not saying that when I get home tonight I won't start hallucinating (DTs) that M&Ms with Peanuts are invading my home, or that a cupcake isn't sitting behind the shower curtain waiting to jump out at me and scream Eat Me or that my bed has turned into a giant bowl of Linguini.

I love Brussels Sprouts - I really love Roasted Brussels Sprouts!

I buy a bag of fresh sprouts, wash and clean/trim/cut in halves, then put them in a zip lock bag with olive oil, garlic powder, ground black pepper, sea salt, and shake them all up so they are coated; throw them in a pan/baking sheet and cook them in the oven at 400 degrees - for 45 minutes - turning them over until they are all browned and crackled and cooked through.  

Sometimes, when I only have frozen baby brussels available, I do the same thing, but throw them in the microwave oven - and cook them for about 10-15 minutes on High and they brown up just the same.  Though cooking in the oven is healthier than the microwave and more flavorful with the longer cooking period.

Tonight's salad: (an antipasto type of salad)

Spring Mix Blend Bag of Salad
2 Tomatoes, chopped
Peeled, cored/seeded, diced cucumber
Sliced red onion
Chopped Bell Pepper
Cubes of Provolone
Chopped pieces of Turkey Pepperoni
and using up the rest of the Homemade Salad Dressing I made the other night....

My son ate all the hard boiled eggs AND the deviled eggs that were leftover, so I just bought him his very own Freshly Laid Yesterday Eggs from a friend's little farm.  She brought in a carton with the most beautiful brown and blue/green eggs!  Now he can eat to his heart's content, because strangely enough I have an issue with "eggs" - I want Jumbo Brown Eggs from a Store - though I know her eggs are better for you than the store bought!  

Lunch today:  Newk's Chicken Salad
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 serving (1oz)
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 58.5
Calories 78
% Daily Values*
Total Fat 6.5g10%
Saturated Fat -
Cholesterol 16.3mg5%
Sodium 200mg8%
Total Carbohydrate 0.5g0%
Dietary Fiber 0.14g1%
Sugars 0.2g
Protein 4.7g



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment... once approved it will be posted.