Thursday, June 13, 2013

Diet Log #4 - Ketosis

Tonight I went out and purchased a bottle of Ketone Sticks to find out if I was in Ketosis.  I immediately tried them out - and I was in Moderate zone... Jumping for joy... Not getting on the scale for a week, so have to have something else to use to appease my OCD.  So, it will probably take the whole 3 weeks of detoxing from carbs to get to the max Ketosis.  But, for eating this way for 4 days and already meeting the middle mark - it's fantastic!!!  

Ketosis

Ketosis is a state at which the body has an extremely high fat-burning rate. Even the brain runs on fat, via ketone bodies. These are energy molecules in the blood (like blood sugar) which become fuel for our brains after being converted from fat by the liver.
To encourage ketone production, the amount of insulin in your bloodstream must be low. The lower your insulin, the higher your ketone production. And when you have a well-controlled, sufficiently large amount of ketones in your blood, it’s basically proof that your insulin is very low – and therefore, that you’re enjoying the maximum effect of your low-carbohydrate diet. That’s what’s called optimal ketosis.

One of my co-workers brought in her Atkin's book for me when she over heard someone mention that I was eating  Low Carb now.  I read a part in the book that a good breakfast to start the day is sliced smoked salmon with some cream cheese rolled inside... So, I have packed for tomorrow in my lunch bag - slices of Cold Smoked Salmon with Whipped Cream Cheese.  

Today:

I forgot breakfast - again... not good.

Lunch - Chicken salad 

Dinner - Deviled Eggs and Greek Salad with a Vinaigrette (homemade)

 Snack -- Turkey ham and Ultra thin slice of provolone


2 comments:

  1. I wish I could cut back on carbs like you do. Good luck on the diet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! It's tough to not want to cook up some pasta or grab a piece of bread when you are at a restaurant... but in these few days, I'm already starting to just FEEL BETTER :) I've had more energy than I have had in over a year!!! We'll see what Week 2 brings...

      Delete

Thank you for your comment... once approved it will be posted.