Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Low Carb Eggplant Faux Lasagna - Diet Log #66, 67, 68 and 69

First, my good news, is that my xrays showed that I do not have tumors on my chest where I've torn and inflammed the cartilage - so I now ice the area and take anti-inflammatory pills to help heal the silly but painful injury.  

Second, being healthy and doing good deeds to your body, doesn't always payout for the best...as today I took a multi-vitamin and a Flax Seed Oil pill and ended up just doubled over for a few hours this morning, racked with intense stomach pain.  Not fun - it reminds me of how I said one time when I was visiting Belgium, that the clean country air during the first part of my trip almost killed me, and the minute I arrived in Brussels, and was back in the polluted air of a busy city, I was able to breathe and feel great... 

My dinner last night was a sort of faux Lasagna made with Eggplant slices instead of pasta noodles... I read up on so many different recipes that were similar and just went on a whim to do it "my" way.... which was as follows:

*          Sliced Eggplant into paper thin rounds and covered the bottom of casserole dish
*          Sauteed julienned summer squash, 2 cloves of pressed garlic, chopped onion, julienned 3 petite sweet red, green and orange bell peppers, in olive oil, scooped out of the liquid in pan with slotted spoon and spread over sliced thin eggplant
*          Whipped up a container of ricotta cheese, 1 cup of shaved romano/parmesan/asiago mixture, Tuscan seasoning mix, 2 eggs, and finely chopped cup of Kalamatas and Ripe Green or Spanish Olives (pimento stuffed and sundried tomato stuffed that I had in fridge); then spread that over the veggies in dish evenly
*          Layered another batch of thinly sliced eggplant rounds completely covering the cheese mixture; topped with Rao’s Arribata Spaghetti Sauce (3 net carbs), then spread grated mozzarella and provolone mix
*          Covered with tin foil, baked at 400 for 1 hr 45 minutes – uncovered and cooked additional 10 minutes to slightly brown the cheese on top

*          AND it was incredible……. 

This will be dinner tonight as well.... I can only imagine after soaking in flavor overnight in the refrigerator it will only be even more incredible and tasty when I heat it back up.

I turned down Carrot Cake yesterday during a celebration of my employer's birthday.  I just kept saying 38 lbs. to myself - and sang the birthday song, wished him the best, and went back to work.  I've had moments of self-pity and weakness where I've wanted to get in the car and go somewhere and eat something full of carbohydrates; but, the effort is too much for me in this awful Summer heat to even think about leaving the A/C in order to do something self-destructive - thank goodness for my laziness!

And, lastly, an acquaintance walked up to me today and said "You are looking good"... Now, I won't take it as I don't always look good, but instead as a compliment that my hard work and determination to be healthy again is working and showing....




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment... once approved it will be posted.