Thursday, November 1, 2012

Sugar Busters - Low Carb - Healthy Eating

In 2000, I found a book on eating/dieting that I loved - Sugar Busters.  I joined a group of others following the same diet - and - I learned a lot about eating healthy and carbs/sugars/etc.  

So, modifying things to my own habits/tastes, this is how I feel I am eating healthy and will also benefit with some good weight loss (this is my modification from all the low carb diets out there and others):

1.  WHITE - a deadly color unless it is feta or goat cheese
2.  NO ROOT VEGETABLES (Carrots, Turnips, Radishes, Potatoes...) - they are starch/meaning high on the sugar; Sweet potatoes as a treat are healthy... have half a baked sweet potato if you need one... if you are feeling extra frisky and want to feel that you are not denied something sinful - like fries - have sweet potato fries... but they aren't going to promote weight loss, only a healthier choice.  I love Sweet Potato fries!
3.  No Watermelon; nothing but sugar... even if it is natural... it's too much....
4.  Eat your vegetables... Brussell Sprouts, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Green Beans, Spinach, Kale (any super food veggies), Spaghetti Squash, Peppers, Tomatoes, Zucchini and Yellow Squash, you name it... just watch the peas.. they are starchy.
5.  Fruit at breakfast can't hurt - but limit it....because fruit is very high in sugar... grapefruit is wonderful, and now that winter is here -it will be high season for all those fabulous citrus fruits... quantity/limiting is where I find it is important when it comes to eating things that are so wonderfully healthy and delicious like fruit... being a glutton just because it is good for you does not promote weight loss.
6.  I don't really like iceburg lettuce because I feel it has no nutritional value other than "water"... I prefer mixed greens, spinach, romaine, and I love Baby Butterleaf....
7.  I make my own salad dressings.  For example, olive oil, italian seasoning, garlic, sea salt, ground pepper, and some balsamic vinegar makes a perfect dressing for me (but I am careful of the balsamic vinegar - it's got sugar)...
8.  No croutons please.....
9.  I have to limit my consumption of CHEESE - OMG - I am a cheese addict.
10.  Lean meats and fish - wonderful... ground chicken/turkey - white meat; fish (wonderful on the grill); egg whites (cut down on the yolks)
11.  There are a lot of natural sweeteners out there now - my favorite is always going to be Agave - but there's others... 
12.  DARKEST chocolate you can find the better for those like me who love chocolate... milk chocolate - full of sugar and dairy... I like the bars that are in the health food stores that have dark chocolate and blueberries - mmmmmm
13.  Beans, Beans, a good chili - vegetarian or use of turkey/chicken is wonderful.... and I love to make Brunswick stew (though I have to be careful to not add corn (pure sugar/starch) and no peas)

Just these changes alone and walking will promote a good and slow healthy weight loss for me, though if I have a lot to lose, I tend to drop quite a bit ALWAYS the first month or two - then it slows way down..... after that - I have to be more and more active.... exercise is the key.  

2 comments:

  1. I know what you're talking about. I lost some 19 pounds in the last 6 months but now I'm stuck. In fact I haven't lost another pound for over a month. Grrrr. And I hate it to exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't give up!!!! The one nice thing is you can walk around those wonderful cities, Antwerp... I have never walked so much in my life as I have in that city!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment... once approved it will be posted.