Monday, November 5, 2012

Diana C.... Day #5

When I first moved to this city 22 yrs ago, I was married with an infant.  My husband, who helped create the most wonderful being, and THANKFULLY that this man has played his part and is no longer a part of my life, insisted that I find work... wanting to always please and be the best wife, mother I could be, I fretted and worried because I could not find a job.  Times were tough, just like now, we were in a serious recession.  Unemployment was sky high, and in this city, it was who you know, not what you know that got you a job.  I didn't know anyone...

So, finally I found a job working an evening shift, but I needed a babysitter for the time between my leaving for work and husband coming home.  And, I met Diana who lived in our complex and had a baby the same age as mine... She convinced me to stop the insanity of working that night shift and just babysit at home - that way I could make money AND be with my baby... and I had her to take walks with, go to parks with the children, someone to talk to - introduced me to other people, and eventually was my life support through one of the toughest times in my life... 

I was alone in this city, thousands of miles from my family; I had a job in a law firm with a lawyer who liked to belittle people, throw things, and make you feel that you were unworthy of anything, especially a salary that could afford you a decent life... He could never keep employees for over a year - it was a revolving door - and I stuck in there for 3 yrs.  

While working for that creep, I took care of my child, paid high rent for the apartment that I had been living in with my ex-husband till the lease ran out, and all on the most pitiful salary.  

Because of Diana, I found my backbone and found new employment, a new affordable and safe home, put my child in good schools, and started dating and feeling better about myself.

She and I lost touch after her own divorce and her remarrying years ago, you know how things happen, interference by others, etc.

BUT, none of that takes away from the fact that I have great memories and I am very thankful for all that she did for me and what she was to me when I needed someone....

I hope that Diana knows this from Heaven... Diana passed away at the age of 45 in her sleep, so I can't tell her this or send her a message....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment... once approved it will be posted.