Saturday, January 22, 2011

Wine and Tapas

Friday evening I went with friends to a wine and tapas place ... I enjoyed the time spent and conversation with friends, but sadly I had been fighting a migraine all day and wasn't feeling all that great... but, I promised myself and friends I'd get out - and I did - I kept that promise.  But, though the place was nice - the food and wine was great - I didn't feel that I belonged - it seemed like the bar area was only for retirees and the other side of the place was college kids who reached legal drinking age.  I didn't feel like I fit in the crowd - so not really a good singles place ... perfect for getting together with girlfriends and chatting. 

But the highlight of the night was the laughs between my friend, whose heritage is Mexican, but she's all American... she doesn't speak Spanish, she sounds like a girl from anywhere between Texas and Florida... but she had me in tears telling me about having to call or ask for people with odd Hispanic names she couldn't pronounce when on the phone at work with a Texas office - and then she had to give her name - and what these people must think of her...  the way she described it, I was trying my best to control my 40 something year old bladder!!  She also shared a few stories from her childhood and I have to say she had me rolling with laughter - she's got the best childhood stories to share ... I was cracking up because I had not known about some of the things she was telling me - and I've known her for many years now...

So... today I woke up late, went out and helped a friend with some errands, and fit in cooking a pot of chili, laundry, and watched a French film, Roman de Gare.  I liked it a lot - odd thriller/mystery - beautiful scenery... quirky movie - the thing I love about French films - they are not always cookie cutter, Hollywood schmaltz - something I get so sick of - that Hollywood over the top nonsense...

Tomorrow - a 2 year old's birthday party... WOO HOO... living the high life, such excitement!  It will be fun anyway... it's my friend's grand daughter's birthday - a very close friend, so it would not be "Kosher" for me to not attend.

Happy to know I did not spend time holed up alone with the cat... though I must admit - Habibi has had some Mommy and me time today - while watching the French film, he draped himself over my leg and meowed because he wanted attention - so I just laid there scratching behind his ears and petting him - finally he got bored of that - sat up, put his ears back, squinting at me, and then BAM he hits my arm with his mouth - then backs up - cracking me up with this funny squinty eyed face - but then he struck again and this time he wrapped his arms around my arm and sunk his teeth in - OUCH... he's a little feisty bastard!!!  He's off sulking now because I scolded him.

2 comments:

  1. so glad to hear about the french film, I agree with you about the usual hollywood fare...and habibi sounds like a normal kitty who you must watch out for when a little bored...have a good nite - until tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the French film is a must see... and I saw a few others I haven't seen yet - one called Vengeance, a French gangster film. Thank you for leaving a comment, you are my first and it is much appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment... once approved it will be posted.