Tuesday, January 25, 2011

"Save a boyfriend for a rainy day, and another in case it doesn't rain" ~ Mae West

It is a dreary day.  Chilly, wet, stormy and I am stuck in the office - I am very excited about the fact that I have an appointment to get my hair cut tonight.  I plan to ask my hairdresser to cut at least 4-5 inches ... something LOW Maintenance.  I'll be in shock for a few days over the cut, as I have mentioned before I am not fond of "change"... but I'm determined to make some positive changes with myself - and this is a much needed one.

Speaking of being social and getting myself out - Tomorrow night I am going to have a glass of wine and appetizer at Happy Hour with a couple of people - marketing for work and personal fun mixed up in one... and with a new haircut... Next week I have a huge marketing event to attend with people from work - I have a feeling that it will be a lot of fun!!!! I am sure I'll be going out with friends any evening now for Happy Hour at somewhere nice like J. Alexanders...or even Mitchell's Fish Market. I hope to have a nice evening helping a friend type her resume this week, and I have movies to see ... if the weather is crappy all week, then lots of movies because I despise having to drive and go out in the rain.  Just depressing and the roads are too dangerous.

I can't believe it's time for the Oscars once again.  This is when I go through the list and find what movies I have not seen and try and get to the theater or rent them before the awards ceremony.


Best picture nominations:

"Black Swan" - I went to see this with the kid, and he and I both agreed that though this would not be the top choice of the movies we saw this past year, it would be on this list of films nominated, and not because of the movie itself, but because of Natalie Portman - which is why I believe she definitely does deserve the Oscar for Best Actress ... it was a given she'd be nominated, she carried that movie, she was that movie, without her the movie would have been a flop...

"Inception" - Did not even think of this film when thinking of all the best films of the year....

"The King’s Speech" - Without a doubt it's No. 1 and Geoffrey Rush is definitely my number 1 choice and deserves Best Supporting Actor - he deserves Best ACTOR.. not because I just love his acting.. but again, his character/his acting was even superior, in my humble opinion, to Colin Firth's..   Colin Firth - was phenomenal, but he's got some TOUGH competition - Jeff Bridges is giving him a run for his money on this nomination!!!!!

"Toy Story 3" - This was a wonderful animated film, a movie that made even my son, age 20, cry, because it was about characters he grew up with, and we saw it just as we were planning my son's move to college... it really hit home with the kid and I... I loved it, but not on my list for best picture - maybe best animated film.

"True Grit" - This was a fantastic film, the Cohen brothers out did themselves with following the story, the actors they had for this piece, the music, the humor, it worked well and definitely deserves to be in the nominations for the best of the best - though I'd choose The Kings Speech over it ... but a tough decision, and I imagine True Grit is going to win... Hollywood will just have to surprise me.

The following are nominations that I have yet to see:
"Winter’s Bone" - I am going to rent this film this weekend...
"The Fighter" - will go see this in the theater on Sunday....
"The Kids Are All Right" - was going to wait till it was on cable... LOL... but now I have to rent it...
"127 Hours" - I don't even remember hearing about this one...
"The Social Network" - NOT even remotely interested in seeing this one - even if it is on the list, even if it surprisingly wins.

On the list of Best Actor and Best Foreign Language film:

I want to see Biutiful with Javier Bardem, but it hasn't been playing here in the theaters in my Podunk-ville city...Maybe since it's been nominated they will play it soon in the theaters - so I can drool and be all googly eyed over Mr. Bardem on the big screen... I am madly and completely in love with the man, ever since I saw him in The Dancer Upstairs.  I swooned over him in Cristina Barcelona...damn was he not oozing sexuality/machismo/charisma!!!!!  Yes he was delightful in Eat Pray Love, but he deserved a better film - and I honestly am not a fan of Julia Roberts. 

So, life's getting better, it's good to finally be healthy after being sick for so long, and life's getting more active, more social, and soon I'll be back to my chipper and happy-go-lucky, crazy self and have so much to share!!! But, of course, Habibi is none too happy about my being out and having fun without him - he drapes himself over me when I am getting ready to sleep and meows for my attention; in other words, I interpret (call me Dr. Doolittle) it as complaints about leaving him alone too long...

2 comments:

  1. Love the title of your post. Yeah, I can see Habibi causing a rukus! However, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. Lets face it, all work and no play makes Sabrina a dull girl.

    So, with that said, I am proud of the fact that you are getting out there and making it do what it do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so funny you said that - I just went through my calendar and found that my schedule is getting pretty hectic with all the fun stuff I've been invited to do in the evenings for the next two weeks! I knew as soon as I "admitted" that things weren't right (my hiding from the World), that I could easily turn it all around!!!! xox Thank you for the cheer :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment... once approved it will be posted.