Thursday, January 20, 2011

Introduction

In August, 2010, I moved my son to South Florida, where he now attends college.  This leaves me with an "Empty Nest" and a crazy Persian cat (Habibi) to keep me company and care for... and I feel quite lost and asking myself "What now?" 

I have spent the past 20 years of my life being a single mother, raising one child, protecting one child, and basically dedicating my entire purpose on this Earth to being a good mother... now, I still am a mother, I still have some responsibilities (I have to pay for his bills, make sure he's not on the course of disaster with his new found freedom in a tropical paradise, and send care packages).  


Since my son has been living away from home, I've gained 50 pounds, don't want to go out and have fun with friends, don't go to the gym anymore, and have slowly found myself evolving into this unhappy, lonely, mushy lump who talks to a cat like its her best friend, watches Victorian era movies and television shows, or plays computer games to while away time ...

I finally thought about it - now that it's getting to the point that I cannot gain more weight, I cannot keep refusing and turning down invitations to go out and socialize, and I must start back at the gym - what's wrong with me?  It's called "Empty Nest Syndrome"... and I fit the bill except for one symptom, I do not cry all the time.  

I also work for a firm that specializes in real estate transactions.  I've been with this firm for over 12 years, and feel a great sense of loyalty to my employers, but ever since the big pop in the real estate bubble (the big bad bang in the Economy), I haven't seen bonuses or raises - leaving me in just as much of a funk as the Empty Nest Syndrome ... Easy to say, find another job; easy to accept another job offer; but the fear of the unknown, the saying "It's always greener on the other side", and Murphy's Law stops me... I don't like change!  Pretty obvious.... Though I do believe, in my heart, I have been very lucky over the past 12 years to have had this job... and I think things will eventually turn around for the better...


Reading what I've written so far, I seem quite dull and depressing.  But, I truly believe that that is far from the truth... even though I'm getting quite close to that edge of being so... the truth is:


I love to travel, I love adventure, my gypsy blood is boiling, trapped inside me and screaming for some fun and excitement.  I love my friends, and think how lucky I am to have such an eclectic group of amazing women (and men) to be a part of my life.  Going to concerts, plays, out to dinner, happy hours, just hanging out at one of our homes and watching television and laughing, chatting, talking about woes, whatever it may be, it's the best of times for me - I can be quite the social butterfly - when I'm not suffering from this dreaded Empty Nest Syndrome ("ENS").  


I have a dream, a desire, and that is to work somewhere in Belgium or the Netherlands, some place like for NATO or EU or at The Hague... to live in a small apartment in Brussels or Amsterdam, or a cottage in a quaint hamlet ... taking the train to work, on my off time exploring parks, museums, cafes, making new friends, learning to speak another language fluently, spending weekends in Paris, London, or going to visit friends I have in Germany, etc.  THIS IS THE LIFE I WANT... not this humdrum American existence to work, work and work some more for what?  To have a nice car, a big home, and all the new and biggest, most expensive gadget... that's not what I want anymore... it's not ME....


I don't belong in the place I'm at now... so Now What?

4 comments:

  1. Well, if you move to Europe, this Joker will be happy and sad all at once.

    I would be happy for you. It's what you want. But I would be sad too, because you would be missed.

    I hope you get on Skype soon and Skype me. Maybe that is a way of socializing that could help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joker! That is very sweet of you to say... and tonight when I get home, which will be late, I will send you a request on Skype, so we can chat!!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sabrina,
    Don't know if you remember me ... long time ago we met in Antwerp. I read that your boy is in college now. Wow, time flies! In my memory he's still 12 years old.
    I found you thanks to a comment on your mom's blog that I have been following for quite some time.
    Wishing you all the best - and may your big dream come true.
    Hugs,
    Myriam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Myriam!!! Yes, of course, I remember you - and the wonderful day we spent with you in Antwerp!!! Time flies by so quickly!! It does not seem like it could have been that long ago ... thank you so much for your kind note - I am glad you did find me :) I hope that all is well and good with you and your family!

    Hugs, Sabrina

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment... once approved it will be posted.