Monday, January 24, 2011

Tiny Tots...

I had a lot of fun at the 2 year old's birthday party yesterday afternoon.  It's funny how we go into parties and social gatherings with dread, wishing we could be home or doing something else, and then once you get there you have a good time ... My gifts were the first to be opened, and the Peanut kept pointing at me, like she was excited that she knew the gifts were from me... she's so precious - this little feisty girl who hates to wear shoes, can beat up anyone who dares to even look at her toys (she's spoiled rotten, which is going to be a bit rough on her when school starts), who stands on the terrace with a "Royal" wave going on to passers by shouting in this loud, booming voice that doesn't fit the tiny tot, "BYE BYE" or "HEY"... or you find her out there in a diaper running her toy vacuum I bought her last year on the terrace.  She's too cute for words - and it brings back memories of my son when he turned 2 yrs. old.  I remember him at that age, his white blonde hair was just starting to grow on his Charlie Brown round head.  He'd be dressed in a little t-shirt, his Osh Kosh overalls that were specially embroidered by his Grammy with love, and little Nikes on his feet that made him jump higher and run faster - and he would hunker down like a little football player, and then take off running, laughing, and BAMMMM run into something leaving a bruise or mark or scrape on that adorable noggin... He had such a little twinkle in his eyes, and a smile of an angel - I miss that little one so much... he was a magical little elf ... now he's a tall, handsome young man, with a kind disposition, who still has a killer smile and twinkling blue eyes. He had a party that a handful of his favorite daycare friends came to - as I was a working single mother by his 2nd birthday.  They were all so cute, and they played well together...he had so much fun that day!  His favorite gift was the stuffed Elmo.  Elmo wore an engineer cap and overalls like he had - and Elmo went every where he went for the longest time.  I miss that snuggle bug baby boy; I miss the things I complained about then, like having to watch Beauty and the Beast over and over again to the point that I memorized every line... they grow up so fast... we never do appreciate those moments until they are long gone.  


But this morning was the regular Monday wake up routine, my alarm goes off, I grab the telephone, and in that crackly morning voice greet my son, who is in South Florida, with a loving wake up call - asking if he's up, awake, and telling him to have a good day, before re-setting my alarm to give me another 30 minutes sleep before I have to get up... We have this routine on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, every week, so that he doesn't have any problems making it to his 8 a.m. English class.  I asked if he felt he was on routine yet, and should I stop calling - and he said "No Mom, I need you to keep it up..." I like to think that's because he misses me and the little 2 year old elf child is still wanting to have Mama's loving care, even if it is just a wake up call, to start his day off...



 

2 comments:

  1. Its funny how one's children always stay connected...no matter what.

    My youngest son and I are connected this way....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joker, you are a good family man, I can only imagine you are connected in many caring ways to all your children!! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment... once approved it will be posted.