Tuesday, September 23, 2014

One Pot Meals... Giving them a try....

It may not be Autumn (here) as most people know it, but being that it is in the 60s-70s night and mornings, makes me believe I'm experiencing a real Autumn.... and so, hearty, rib sticking meals come to mind ... 

Last night I decided to collect a few One Pot meals.  Just throw everything into one pot, no draining, no changing pots, nothing - all in one... and my first meal was an absolute success:


ONE POT CHILI MAC
(My Low Fat/High Fiber Version)


In my Knock-Off Le Creuset Dutch Oven, I browned up a whole chopped Sweet Yellow Onion, 2 cloves of garlic, and 1.25 lbs of ground turkey in 1 T olive oil (I used 3 T – because I used more garlic and cooked with the turkey meat that has low fat content)

Then I added a box of Pomi Diced Tomatoes with juice, two cans of Bush’s Chili Beans (Medium) – drained, 2 t chili powder, 1.5 t cumin, salt * pepper to taste, 4 cups of low sodium chicken broth, and brought it all to a boil…

Then I added a box of Whole Wheat Elbow Noodles, turned the heat to simmer, gave it all a good stir, put the lid on and checked it every 5 minutes for a stir for a total of 10 minutes …turned the heat off and then let it sit and set....with lid on....

You can add some cheddar cheese, or a dollop of sour cream, etc. if that is what you prefer on your chili....

Voila – a hearty, high fiber, low fat meal!!!!!!!!  Kid ate HALF the pot!!!!!!!! 

Ingredients:
1.25 lbs. of ground turkey (or whatever you choose)
1 Yellow Onion – peeled/chopped
2 garlic cloves – diced up
1 T. Olive Oil (use as much as you feel you need)
1 can 15 oz. of petite diced tomatoes (I used the whole box of Pomi Diced Tomatoes) with juice
2 cans of drained Chili Beans (I like some spice, so I chose Medium)
2 t. chili powder
1.5 t. cumin
Salt and Pepper to taste
4 cups of Low Sodium Chicken Broth (you can make this vegetarian** see below)
1 box of Barilla whole grain elbow noodles


** Vegetarian – skip the meat/turkey and use vegetable broth….maybe add bell pepper with the onion and garlic to give more substance J


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment... once approved it will be posted.