Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Thoughts of Greythounds and Lemonfluff

The other day someone mis-reported to me that Florida had shut down all greyhound racing.  My first thought was "What will happen to the dogs?"!!!!!!  I'd love to see Greyhound racing extinct.  But, realistically, I'd love to see all the rescues and adoption agencies first work to set up a re-homing and agency to protect the Greyhounds first, before such a ban goes into place.

People don't realize, because it is all behind closed doors, that Greyhounds are used for more than just racing, they are also "Universal" blood donors for pets/animals.  Can you imagine how many of them are sitting around just waiting to give your injured or sick pup a blood transfusion?  All the labs with greyhounds just living out their existence... They aren't kept as "pets" to do this, some may if they are lucky be kept in a nice vet's office or go home to a home at night, and when needed, they donate - but the truth is, that's not always the case... Labs like Greyhounds because of their skin, as well as, their universal blood typing.

There are the dogs that break their legs, necks, backs, and are euthanized - from injuries at the track.  AND, that's how my story really begins....

Lemonfluff was racing hard, fast, and trying to show off what an A-Racer she could be, she was black and white and long legged, graceful, and proud... and she came around a bend on that track and spun out, big crash, and snapped her hind leg in two.  Thankfully the kennel owner just ordered that she be taken to their vet and euthanized, rather than some awful/unmentionable way they do at some very low end tracks... the kennel worker drove her off, and passed that kennel vet and went to a different one... She kidnapped Lemonfluff - and she paid to have her leg surgically pinned/banded and then she kept the fugitive hound at her home until she was able to safely get her to the adoption center/rescue.

Lemonfluff was adopted by a sweet family; but, alas, a sweet family that knew nothing about Greyhounds.  So, when Lemonfluff knitted the air or bumped a kid with her nose, she was immediately deemed "aggressive" and sent back; then a single lady adopted her, brought her back in two days stating that she was just "too much" to handle.

I had read every book I could get my hands on, had spent time with my friends and their hounds, and I was "ready"... I drove out to the kennel with my son, aged 9 yrs old, and I had it in my mind, I was going to get a big boy, probably brindle, and so the interviewing of the hounds began....

Crates, some stacked 3 rows high, of hounds, in their clean paper shavings making a soft bed (the kennels are kept immaculate), eyes peeping out, ears perking up, curiosity, interest, some bark to get out to meet you, most just lie there watching ... and in my mind, hoping, are you the one to take me to my new "couch"... one boy after another brought out, some rambunctious and bouncing with excitement and desire for attention, some just relaxed, chilling, wanting a head pat and ear scratches, but then... then there was the girl, Lemonfluff, a black and white beauty, with deep soulful eyes, that started whining and clawing to get out of the crate - and I said "please let her out" - she did a great Happy Dance first, then immediately calmed down, walked over to me and leaned on me, looking up at me with those big eyes, it was like - Sigh, I finally am with my forever Mom and she comes with a BOY!!!!!!

Within a couple of days, "Fluff" was settled in with large fluffy dog beds in every corner of the house, a trip to Petsmart where she picked out her favorite toy, a giant stuffed octopus, and she was served the best dog food to make her healthy/keep her healthy, she went to dog parks, on many walks in the neighborhood, she drove with her head out the window and tongue dangling on many a family ride somewhere, she got to meet and hang out with her other greyhound friends... and she even became soul sister with the Persian cat that lived with her... their favorite past time was sitting in the comfy overstuffed chair under the window in the living room and spying on the neighbors' activities.

Fluff lived for 14 yrs until the Big C got her.... She was 3 yrs old when I adopted her.  She was not aggressive, she was not too much to handle, and she is sorely missed.... My wish is that Greyhound racing dies away, and that the hounds that are left from that are given the wonderful and loving homes they deserve - just like my Fluff.  There is nothing sweeter and more loving than a Greyhound.  All they want to do is lie on their backs with legs in the air on your couch... that's it...

(I will get another when I am in a home that is not restricted from having a large dog)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment... once approved it will be posted.