Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Guardian Angels of Canadian Geese


Yesterday afternoon was a bit eventful.  At the office, we have a family of Canadian Geese that nest every Spring - every year, same time, they arrive, and I love them so!!!  The female has a limp from when she got into a fight with something trying to get her babies one year.  She's a survivor and a fighter!  We've lost a couple of males to the traffic on the highway, which I have found quite devastating when I'd see the bird lying there.

Yesterday afternoon, one of the bachelors was found under a friend's truck in the parking lot.  He had been badly injured - most likely someone clipped him with their car when coming into the parking lot - obviously a little TOO fast.

Well two of my friends/co-workers helped out, got towels, grabbed him up, friend sat in the back with this giant goose on her lap, my other friend drove, and I navigated because I was the only one who knew where the animal hospital across town was - that was willing to take in the goose.

Oh My GOD - the SMELL!!!!  That poor goose stunk so badly; not to mention, he peed and poo'ed all over his guardian angel holding him.  He didn't like our opening the windows, so we flew down the highway with our hands over our faces trying to block out the stink - we made it in time, before the hospital closed, and they came out and took him right in.

Now I'm waiting to hear whether he survived the night and if they will be able to bandage him up and give him to the wildlife rescue/bird preservation place called BEAKS.

Even if he didn't make it - WE TRIED!!!!!!!!

Update:  He had to be put down - at least humanely where he wasn't suffering anymore.  The vet said that someone had really torn him up- obviously a vehicle hit him.  She said that we did the right thing and ended his suffering.  And, she tried to make me feel better by saying that someone brought in a little gosling, and he was doing very well.  I am pretty sure that the idiots that have occasionally almost hit me in the parking lot, are the same freaks that did the hit and run on the bird.  They'll be sorry the next time they come across my path - I will embarrass them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment... once approved it will be posted.