Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Food to Soothe the Soul....

No wonder I battle and struggle with my weight... when it's pouring cats and dogs outside, I am stuck inside the office .. sitting... drive home... sitting... go home and then get a wild hair to bake... I've been baking bread - there's nothing more comforting than fresh, piping hot bread.  I tried English Muffin Bread, and in order to control my eating - I had a slice when it came out of the oven, and then I turned around and packaged it up and brought to the office and told everyone - have at it!  It's gone.....

I spent 20 minutes standing in front of the open fridge area at the grocer's where they had smoked salmon.... going through the Nova and Lox packages to see which package did not have any "brown" areas - it must be completely clean of flaws or I can't eat it... I have had such a craving for smoked salmon... so for lunch today I had a Ray's Multigrain Bagel toasted, schmear of cream cheese, and then topped with my perfect Nova... gobbled it up... I'm happy, content... tonight - I am bringing home fresh, free range chicken eggs from a friends' house... her husband loves his chickens... she says they have dozens and dozens of eggs collected in a special fridge in their garage every week - so I bought a carton to see how they are - an omelet with tomatoes, red onion, and smoked salmon tonight and some toasted whole wheat pita bread.... I think this will end the smoked salmon craving.  Is it home sickness for those wonderful bagels on a Sunday morning, the one's my dad brought home, the cream cheese and lox... {{sigh}}... or am I low on Omega-3s....

Another craving, but one that goes unfed - sauteed Calamari.. fried calamari, anywhere - but sauteed like up North on Linguini... nothing like it... chunks of garlic in the sauce... I just know after cleaning and preparing the "calamari" - I'd never eat it again.... I've finally gotten over the chicken issue... If I cleaned chicken and there were veins or cartlidge and guts still left here and there, I couldn't eat it... then I got the kitchen shears and started cutting all the "contaminated" parts and leaving a lot of waste behind so I could eat the chicken ... now... I'm much better - I can just clip off the garbage stuff and enjoy the chicken without another thought... so slimy squid ... won't work well with me...

Comfort food... Good Memories.... my family in old t-shirts, at the table, with towels, eating my dad's Lobster Spaghetti... we'd make a mess - it was wonderful... I amaze myself with my ability to get every little microscopic piece of meat out of a lobster... no piece is too small to hide from my taste buds....
 good memories of us being messy, laughing and talking over dinner... I love my family, and I miss them very much....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment... once approved it will be posted.