Friday, March 18, 2011

"London is drowning ~ And I live by the river" ~ The Clash

 

I had the loveliest visit with my son this past weekend.  He came home on Saturday, and I fed him, babied him, spoiled him, we went to the movies, watched movies at home, and I introduced him to The Ricky Gervais Show and An Idiot Abroad that I love so much – and he’s totally hooked now.  We mimicked Ricky Gervais and Karl Pilkington the entire visit… For example, my son would start to tell me something about school, something serious, and I’d mimic Ricky Gervais and say “Don’t talk sh*t!” – and my son would be in tears laughing so hard… we have a strange and twisted sense of humor …. I was sad to see him leave – he went on to go hiking/camping in the mountains with his dad… but he’ll be home in May for Summer break… then I’ll get enough of him!!!  Messy Marvin a/k/a The Absentminded Professor!!!

Now back to the usual of all work and no play.  I’ve lost over 12 lbs. since I went to the doctor on February 28th.  I am very happy about it!!  I have become a very creative salad maker.  Last night’s dinner was Hearts of Romaine lettuce chopped up, avocado slices, chopped tomato, a handful of olives, and then I mixed up Grey Poupon Coarse Grain Mustard, Balsamic Vinegar, Olive Oil, ground pepper and tossed the salad up… it was yummy.  Otherwise, you will find me eating Brussels Sprouts… seems to be something my system needs because I can get a really strong craving lately for the darn little veggies… they just smell up the house cooking, otherwise they are wonderful!! 

My social life has been to a low dull.  Between work, having the kid coming home for a very (too) short visit, and my new dieting program, going out to eat and drink is not on the schedule!  I am too Gung Ho…  I need to go to Barnes & Noble and carouse the salad recipe book area for some good ideas!!  I need new and tasty – but easy – salad recipes that don’t have starch or sugar added…

At lunch today – I was reminiscing over the trips I took with the Kid… I just thought of his 11th birthday in London, 2001, when we went to Trafalgar Square and there were still pigeons!!  A little old man came over with some bread crumbs and offered them to my son to attract the pigeons – he was so excited – until they all flew away from some noise that startled them – beating my poor child with their wings!  Loved it!!!  Something kids today don’t experience, I am told – a thing of the past… makes me realize – the World just is not as we once knew it… it is changing – quickly… and if the scary news reports – the terror-mongers of the media – are correct regarding Japan and the nuclear melt-downs, I imagine a lot of the world will change – drastically and not for the better.  Makes you wonder about all those Japanese movies that came out after WWII – with Godzilla, Mothra, etc.  - may not have come true with the Hiroshima bombings, but maybe with their own nuclear power plant disasters… sad, very sad, and though I might sound lighthearted, I am actually pretty scared – pretty frightened for my sister-in-law’s family, my brother and sis-in-law’s friends that live over there, the future of Japan, the World that will be exposed to the dangers, the money, and most of all my unborn grandchildren and great-grandchildren… that is why it drives me insane that places such as Iran – North Korea – China – Third World Powerhouses - have access to nuclear power – forget terrorism and wars – just the fact that the issues of Japan would be far more worse in Iran—who isn’t immune to natural disasters and has far less money than Japan!  China who makes things “cheaply”… and a total “nutter” in charge of North Korea…

So, what to do… just live today… what else is there to do… be happy with the blue skies over head – the pretty blooming Dogwood trees – anticipating the hatching of the new set of Canadian Goose eggs outside my office (6th generation!!!)… going home to Habibi, who now crawls all over me when I get home, purring, and even chatters (meows) at me, the very spoiled kitty… and seeing my son happy and proud of himself during the end of his first year at University….

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment... once approved it will be posted.