Monday, November 3, 2014

2006 Honda Accord V-6 - Screaming when it's Cold....

I just want to get the word out to people who are not mechanically minded or knowledgable about cars and go to mechanics and dealerships for help.

First, there was a recall on the hose to the Power Steering pump.  Mine was fixed... but... the hose was all that was replaced.  Not the connectors and the O-Ring.  It was only the hose in the recall...

SO... when it starts to scream when it's cold... it's the O-Ring - and it's less than $2.00 for that part... and less than $13.00 for the inlet fitting it sits in that looks like an elbow and connects the hose to the power steering pump.

IF ANYONE TELLS YOU IT'S $500 - 900 TO FIX YOUR SCREAMING HONDA.... tell them to go do something to themselves.... especially if they say it's that much to "re-seal" the pump....

$20.00 is the total cost after tax for parts, and you could change it yourself if you have the tools... or take it to someone trustworthy and pay him the 15 minutes time that it took him to replace it... and the whine and scream is gone...

It's screaming because the ring (seal) is letting air get in and it's backing it down the hose to where you have the fluid tank... you can tell - open where you put the fluid and it will be bubbly /foamy from the air ... it's screaming because the pump isn't being lubricated enough and the air is forcing that lubrication backwards... when it heats up - it tends to stop screaming - because the air isn't able to get in easily... eventually it will scream all the time, you will lose fluid, and you will burn out the pump....

Hopefully someone will one day research and read this - maybe - and I've saved them $100s of dollars by them checking to see if it is the O-Ring with a reputable/honest mechanic...

THANK GOD.... I asked around!!!!!!


3 comments:

  1. I'm impressed about your technical knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only know about it because I had my friend's brother in law, a Master Mechanic, lift up my hood and show me the exact parts and how it worked... if I had not started asking around, and if he and some of the other mechanics he works with hadn't taken me under their wings and shown me the "truth" and explained how it worked, I'd have been out a LOT Of money for nothing!!!! So... I now know... and I want to make sure to share the knowledge!!! :D XOXO

      Delete
  2. Sure, they could take advantage of me...but I get them back when it's time to repair their computer systems. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment... once approved it will be posted.