Friday, July 27, 2012

Summer Vacation Memories

In the 1970s, my parents used to rent a house on Fire Island... we'd pack up and make the couple hours drive in our Volvo to the docks for the ferry, so exciting, and then once we crossed the bay on the ferry, we'd go off to find our new temporary home.... the excitement of which room would be my bedroom ... and being able to throw my bathing suit on and jump into the water and swim and play!!!!!

(this is not the house - but it is the style of homes)

I was about 6 or 7 yrs. old when we stayed at The Pines.  I remember "Tea Time" at the bar where the docks were - and the music would start, and everyone would get out and dance under the disco ball.  Thinking back on it - I remember sunshine, wooden docks, multi-million dollar yachts, sipping on my Shirley Temple, and men without shirts on and nice bodies dancing on the floor around me... sounds pretty fun, doesn't it?  I can even remember the music playing, like "I Shot the Sheriff" by Bob Marley or "Don't Rock the Boat" - Hues Corporation. Sometimes a gentleman would even ask me to come out on the dance floor... I would accept depending on how many sips I got of my parents' Salty Dogs when they weren't paying attention!!!


The house we stayed at was all squares and glass - that beachy modern look - and it sat on the Bayside of the island - where there were impressive views of stars at night or summer storms rolling in from the mainland.


So much to explore, and no worries about boogeymen coming and snatching me up... those were magical days and wonderful memories of times with my family....












2 comments:

  1. Those are good memories. I had several of them myself that I remember taking with my parents.

    God I wish I could go back to those days now....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do too Denis!!!! We could be social with strangers, run around free, and our days were not taken up with internet, cellphones, video games, etc. - we were imaginative and wholesome!!! Exploring the beach, finding crabs, trying to catch fish with your hands, those were fun times.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment... once approved it will be posted.